03 March 2009

What Makes a Good Story?

I don't know anything about video games. Truly. I'm embarrassed to expose the underbelly of my ignorance about one of the largest revenue markets out there, but here goes...

Video games have a character doing stuff -- action driven. Character propels from one event to the next. Setting. Mood. Theme. Journey.

It's a story.

There's also a character doing stuff to reveal self -- character driven. Character propels from one event to the next. Setting. Mood. Theme. Journey.

It's another kind of story.

So many stories created today -- online, hardcover, softcover, movies, music videos, plays, radio, newspapers, video games...

What makes for a good one?

Likable characters. Exciting action. Meaningful issues???

Enough, I guess. Thousands of stories are published in one form or another everyday.

The good ones are so rare.

Seems to me, a good story makes real time, rather than pass unconsciously, bring us to consciousness...